It’s every parent’s dream to ensure their child maximizes their growth and enjoys all the benefits of having a healthy sleep pattern. This is especially the case during the first five years of a child’s life, where the infant is expected to sleep 12 to 13 hours a day for optimal development.
Unfortunately, regular-sized mattresses are not designed to capitalize on this growth phase. They tend to be cumbersome, uneven, and mostly hazardous for infants and toddlers. They also occupy a lot more space and can be quite expensive.
So, it’s no surprise that the hunt for the best mini crib mattress is still on in this day and age, especially with so many young couples having their first child!
During the first year of marriage, most couples can only afford a studio apartment as they begin a new chapter in their relationship. Frugal purchases such as mini-mattresses have to be made in order to save up on money and create space for their new abodes.
Additionally, two or more mini-mattresses can be converted to twin beds as the couple move towards adding new members to the family. The portability of these mattresses also gives the young couple the ability to restructure their apartment overtime.
Great, so how do I Get Started with my Mini-Crib Mattress Shopping?
Nonetheless, with so many options available in the market, it can be overwhelming for new parents to select a mini-mattress that speaks to their immediate wants and needs. We thought it best to create this extensive buyer’s guide on the top 10 mini-crib mattresses currently available in the market. Here is an overview of what’s to come:
- The mattress dimensions: 38*24*5 inches
- Comes with a removable cover that is manufactured from high-quality cotton (30% organic)
- Greenguard Gold and CertiPUR-US Certified
- High-density foam for dual firmness on infant side
- Cool gel foam used on the toddler side of the mattress
For generations, Moonlight Slumber has been producing top-quality nursery products that ensure parents provide their babies with exceptional care as they grow. The Moonlight Bluebird Hypoallergenic is one fine example as it offers the much-needed dual firmness and softness for an infant to sleep soundly.
This particular mattress has a high-density foam that provides the much-needed dual-sided support for the baby’s back: an extra supportive side for infants and a plush memory-foam side for toddlers.Aside from catering to the baby’s spinal structure, it comes with a removable cover designed from soft, premium cotton. The cover itself has antimicrobial properties, not to mention being both stain and water-resistant.
- Its firm and soft design make it one of the most ideal mattresses for growing infants and toddlers
- Its cover is machine-washable
- The polyester material is hypoallergenic
- It does not come with any chemical or plastic-like smell
- It is extremely safe, hence certified
- Not the best mattresses for children of big stature or exceptionally fast growers
- Not as lightweight as other options (11 pounds)
- The mattress dimensions: 24*38*3 inches
- It comes with a hypoallergenic cotton cover
- Inner core of the mattress is designed with soy foam
- Pad color: tan
- Constructed with a dust mite barrier
Sleep is quintessential in the mental and physical growth of an infant. During this crucial period, it is vital that your baby has a great mattress to sleep on. While the LA Baby mini-crib mattress might not be a head-turner in terms of aesthetics, it certainly packs a punch in the quality department.
The mattress is designed with a Soy Foam for added firmness and durability. Additionally, the mattress cover is created from high-grade organic cotton that is water and stain-resistant. To enhance comfort for the slumbering child, the mattress is designed with a dust mite protective outer layer to prevent pests from making the mattress their home and preying on your child.
A fine box edge construction centers your child in the middle of the mattress, preventing them from falling off.
- An eco-friendly option thanks to the use of soy for the inner core foam
- Dust mite proof and hypoallergenic
- It is water and stain resistant, so easy to clean
- Has a soft and luxurious feel to it
- Foam is not 100% organic (71% polyurethane)
- Has a plastic smell straight out of the packaging
- The edges along the seams are rough
- The mattress dimensions: 37.5*25.5*3 inches
- Fits Graco Pack ‘n Play Playard
- Green Guard Gold certified
- Waterproof cover
- Vinyl to foam construction; 10% and 90% respectively.
- Outer cover has antibacterial properties as well
Dream on Me sticks true to its core values of being a family-owned business by providing the ideal combination of comfort and safety to ensure your child gets the best sleep possible. Instead of a regular mattress, you can get the Dream on Me Mini-crib Mat for your toddler’s Pack ‘n Play Playard. It fits the play yard like a glove.
It can easily turn your play yard into a crib. As it’s also lightweight and compact you can use this mat with Pack’n Play when you travel or staying at your friends’ or relatives’ houses.
The mattress is constructed with foam and vinyl in the ratio of 9:1. The cover of the mini-mattress is designed with waterproof and antibacterial properties to ensure your child stays protected from mildew, mold growth, and any unpleasant odors.
If you purchase this mattress, it is paramount that you DO NOT use it in its bassinet position on a Play Yard’s top level.
- Easy to clean
- Fits seamlessly into a pack n play
- Waterproof mattress cover prevents odor and mold built-up
- Thick and cozy
- Slight spaces when fitted in some pack n play options, which might be hazardous for toddlers
- The padding might feel a little too tough for your infant to sleep on the whole night
- The mattress dimensions: 24*38* 5 inches
- The mattress weighs 5 pounds
- Organic materials
- Greenguard Gold Certification
- Comes with a breathable, washable cover
We go on with our quest to ensure your child sleeps like royalty by availing the Bundle of Dreams Flagship Mini Crib Mattress. One of the eco-friendliest mattresses out there, the Flagship is constructed with no VOC’s or off-gassing; which is a win-win for the environment and for your child’s growth.
The mattress comes with a dual-comfort design; with the softer-side catering to toddlers and the harder side meant for infants. A breathable cover also reduces the chances of suffocation in case your infant rolls over. In addition to that, the cover is removable and washable to ensure your child always has a clean surface to sleep on.
- 100% organic hence it is eco-friendly
- Greatly reduces the risk of suffocation by having a breathable cover and core
- Cover is waterproof
- Great for both infants and toddlers by having a dual comfort construction
- No plastic smell when removed from the packaging
- Not 100% organic (designed with 90% polyester core)
- The mattresses dimensions: 38*24*4 inches
- Greenguard Gold Certification
- The inner fiber core is constructed from recycled bottles
- Weighs 3.9 pounds
- The cover is manufactured from blended cotton
If you’re looking for a mini-crib mattress that is engineered with your infant’s comfort, safety, and health in mind, then the Beautyrest SlumberTime comes marginally close to fitting the bill.
For one, it is designed with all the benefits of a regular-sized crib mattress conveniently packed into one. So much so that it can seamlessly fit in both portable and mini cribs.
Moreover, the mattress provides optimum support for infant growth by having a firm hypoallergenic core constructed from recycled bottles. Like most of its contemporaries on this list, the outer cover is designed with a waterproof casing to prevent staining, unwanted odors, or pests from infesting the mattress.
- Easy to clean thanks to a waterproof outer cover
- Provides optimum support for the growth and development of the baby
- Can fit seamlessly in both portable and MINI cribs
- Dual sided with plusher side for toddlers
- One of the most lightweight options
- Emits a strange soy-like odor when removed from the packaging
- While the product claims to be Greenguard certified, the core is actually made from 90% polyurethane
- Mattress dimensions: 24*38.5*3 inches
- Comes with a laminated cover
- Weighs: 2.8 pounds
- CertiPUR-US performance certified foam
- Greenguard Gold Certification
For more than half a century, Colgate mattresses have been at the forefront of the growth and development of children by manufacturing firm, durable mattresses. One more impressive feature that Colgate mattresses have maintained through the years is the thick comfortable foam.
The Colgate mini-crib mattress certainly pays homage to this tradition by boasting an impressive 3-inch thickness to ensure your infant’s back gets all the support it needs.
The outer covering of the mattress is reinforced with a laminated construction to give it waterproof capabilities. It also makes it easier for parents to clean the mattress in case of any spillages that might occur.
- The mattress fits both mini and portable cribs
- Easy to clean
- Certified to not emit any harmful chemicals or emissions
- Tear-resistant and durable
- Sort yet supportive foam
- One of the most lightweight options
- Emits a strong, plastic-like smell after unpacking
- The mattress dimensions: 38*24*3 inches.
- Waterproof and non-inflammable
- Weighs 2.85 pounds
- Thick and firm foam
- Vinyl cover
Finding a standard mini crib mattress that can cater for both mini and portable cribs can be quite the task. That is until you come across the Big Oshi. For one, this mini mattress comes with a thick and cozy design to ensure your infant sleeps comfortably through the night.
The presence of a tough, durable, waterproof cover protects the mattress from any accidental spills, dust, or odors that might cause discomfort when the child sleeps. The high-quality foam, in turn, provides balanced support. This way, the mattress will be fully straightened and firm to support your child during growth.
A side note: Once you have unboxed the item upon receiving it, ensure you leave the mattress for up to 24 hours for it to regain its regular shape.
- Easy to clean the waterproof cover
- Thickened to provide maximum support and comfort to your child
- Suitable for both mini and portable cribs
- The company seems to have an issue getting the right fit for a particular order
- Some customers have complained of poor stitching along the corners
- Mattress dimensions: 38*24*3 inches
- Weighs 3.5 pounds
- Hypoallergenic layers for toddlers and infants
- Breathable cover on the infant side
- CertiPUR-US certified
- Lock stitch seams
Dream On Me takes the latest developments in mattress technology to improve breathability for your children as they sleep. It features breathable material on the infant side, while toddler side cover is waterproof with sturdy lock stitch seams.
While the mattress might not be endowed with many unique features, it boasts high-quality construction and superior workmanship. This mattress is not designed to be used with Pack’n play Playard. It’s too narrow for it.
- One of the most recommended mattresses for promoting airflow
- Easy to clean thanks to a waterproof cover on the toddler side
- High-quality construction with durable materials
- Infant side of the mattress is susceptible to wear and tear
- Does not fit Pack’n play Playard
- Mattress dimensions: 39*26*3 inches
- Uses polyurethane foam
- Hypo-allergenic and waterproof outer layer
- Weighs 11.45 pounds
- 16 CFR 1633 certification
Considered one of the pioneers in pocket coil mattresses, the Dream on Me Pocket coil ensures that you child no longer has their comfort compromised at the expense of support. This mini-crib mattress is constructed from steel coils that are interwoven and further covered with a polyurethane foam containing hypo-allergenic properties.
Additionally, the outer layer is waterproof and stain resistant. Not to mention an anti-bacterial layer that prevents mildew or moss from forming on the mattress.
- The mattress is easily washable
- Phthalate and lead tested, eco-friendly
- High-quality construction
- Not the firmest mini-mattress, but one of the most supportive
- Has a plastic smell upon unpackaging
- A bit heavy, not useful for traveling
- Mattress dimensions are 38*24*2 inches
- Weighs 2 pounds
- Comes with a waterproof layer
- Anti-microbial properties
Last, but certainly not least, the La Baby 2” mini crib mattress is well known for its incredible resilience and tear-resistant features. For one, it is constructed with a dust mite resistant layer that is not only non-toxic, but also hypo-allergenic.
The waterproof layer also makes it easier to clean the mattress, ensuring your infant enjoys every second of their sleep. All you have to do is simply clean it with warm water and soap.
- Waterproof layers make the mattress easy to clean
- Dust mite barrier
- Firm enough to ensure your infant sleeps comfortably
- Stain and odor resistant layer to provide a clean environment for your baby
- Very lightweight
- Though firm, it can be too soft for younger infants
- Friction with the waterproof covering makes the mattress a bit noisy
- Thinner than other models
As you can see from our detailed list, there are quite a number of mini-mattresses out here, and it can be a daunting task to find the right match. While the only difference between a full and mini-crib mattress is the size, your current financial setting might force you to go for a mini-crib mattress. Not to worry though, you’re not missing out on any essential features by going by our checklist.
Definition of a Mini Crib Mattress
But, a small remark first:
A mini-crib mattress is essentially a usual crib mattress, with the only difference being that it is designed for much smaller cribs and home spaces. It provides the same support and comfort for your child’s development and fits perfectly in smaller-sized or travel cribs.
So, don’t believe all the rumors that it is less effective than a full-sized crib mattress.
Buying A Mini Crib Mattress
There’s no denying that e-commerce shopping is the easiest and most effective form of shopping today. Thanks to online reviews and buyer guides, shoppers are able to make informed purchasing decisions without having to see that particular product in the first place.
Keeping this in mind, here are some factors to consider before selecting the mini crib mattress that fits perfectly your current financial and residential setup.
It’s essential that you first select a mini-crib that will fit perfectly in your home. For example, if you’re currently living in a studio apartment, then you’ll have to go with a mini-mattress that conserves as much space as possible.
The size of the mini-crib also greatly influences the mattress you will buy. As a rule of thumb, make sure your mini mattress does not leave any space between the crib’s edges and that of the mattress.
Such a mattress is hazardous and can cause your child to stick out a limb and inadvertently hurt themselves!
During their rapid growth and development stage, infants require a firm mattress to line their backs the right way and maximize their growth potential. During this time, your child will sleep for up to 12 hours a day. It’s only logical that you provide them with a surface that will feel comfortable on their back, and prevent them from suffocating. While a mini-mattress might feel too hard for you, it is essential for a newborn who is currently growing.
While it’s great to minimize your carbon footprint and contribute to preserving the earth, the use of 100% organic mattresses does have its downsides. One major side effect of purchasing mattresses made naturally from the elements is that it might cause unwanted skin irritation and itchiness on your infant’s body.
Alternatively, you can opt for mattresses that have the Organic Textile Standard certification that guarantees your baby won’t be affected by the material used during manufacture.
We highly recommend that you consider organic cotton or wool if you plan to go the natural route when purchasing your mini crib mattress. The Bundle of Dreams Flagship Mattress is one of the best mattresses containing maximum organic components.
Foam plays an important role in determining the density of a mattress. The tougher and heavier the foam, the denser the mattress. This depends on the type of product used to make the foam. On the other hand, the density of coil mattresses varies depending on the amount of gauge that the springs have. The higher the gauge, the lesser the density.
Takes you back to physics class, right? Nevertheless, the addition of more coils also reduces the density.
Let’s face it; your baby is bound to go wee-wee on the mattress at any moment. So, to deal with unprecedented diaper leaks, you’ll need to purchase a waterproof mattress. However, as a health precaution, we advise you not to buy any waterproof beds that use only vinyl as the protective covering. That’s because they emit toxic fumes when they come into contact with urine which might be harmful to the baby.
Other Essentials that Go Together with Mini-crib Mattresses
As important as the mini-crib mattress is for your baby’s sleep, it’s incomplete without the right crib and crib sheets. Can you have the chicken without the egg?
Of course, not!
So, here’s an overview of what you should know about baby cribs:
- Traditional Cribs – The standard crib is the most common crib out there. It’s usually the first one that most parents buy to keep their babies safely tucked in until they reach the age of 2. Most traditional cribs are multi-functional in that you can attach essentials such as a changing station to the crib, or remove the side rails to convert it into a mini-bed as your kid grows older.
- Travel Cribs – These cribs that can be carried where your child goes by simply folding them and packing them as part of your travel itinerary. Most of them come with attachable changing stations which is great if you’re out and about babysitting and one to change the baby. Pack-n-play travel cribs are the most popular ones in the market. If you own one, consider the Dream on Me 25C-GR mattress as this is the perfect-fit option. While travel cribs are great for trips, they are believed to not be the most durable cribs for home use.
- Portable Mini Cribs – As the name suggests, these are cribs that can be carried anywhere because of their small and lightweight design. A large majority of them come with wheel construction, although others can simply be folded just like a travel crib. Most people who’ve used these cribs have claimed that their babies quickly outgrow them and that they are not suitable for children once they turn three. Some customers have also claimed that it can be quite difficult to find the right mattress and beddings to compliment portable cribs due to their small size.
Crib sheets are essential because they make your baby as comfortable as possible when he or she sleeps. For some parents, it can be the difference between 7 hours of peaceful sleep and a grumpy day at the office!
With this in mind, here are some of the things to consider when going crib sheet shopping:
- Avoid Buying Bedding Sets – While the idea of having all the sheets in one go might seem like a cost-effective idea, most set manufacturers usually dial down the quality to maximize their profits on each set. Hence, we advise you to select items separately so as to maximize the quality.
- Material – The type of material can play a critical role between your child freezing, heating up, or having sound sleep. Of course, you want your child to have uninterrupted sleep because that means you’ll have a good night’s rest too! As a rule of thumb, always settle for cotton sheets over other options because they keep your child cool when it’s hot by letting air move freely through the crib. In cold weather, you should settle for flannel sheets because they retain body heat.
- Thread Count – High-quality sheets always have a higher thread count as compared to their counterparts. We recommend that you settle for two hundred threads per square inch and above when purchasing your sheet. Since your baby’s skin is extremely sensitive, you shouldn’t settle for anything less than this.
- Weave – When it comes to bedsheets, the term “weave” refers to sewing between the threads. As such, there are a number of weaves out there but the most popular is sateen. It’s considered to have the highest quality and is extremely smooth.
- Sheet Care and Cleaning – Lastly, we encourage you to wash your child’s crib sheets on a weekly basis to eliminate any bacteria buildup. You can wash the sheets with cold water and detergent to eliminate dust, dirt, and pathogens.
As a new shopper, you might have some questions regarding mini crib mattresses that have yet to be answered. That’s why we’re here to answer some of the most common questions we faced during our research.
Small mattresses are great because they take advantage of tiny spaces. This means that you can leave space for other recreational activities (a game room even), before your child is old enough to have their own room!
The ideal weight for a mini-crib mattress should be about 2 to 8 pounds. If the mattress is heavier, it’s less portable.
This is a mattress that has been designed with a material which is highly unlikely to cause your child’s skin to have an allergic reaction.
Most mini-crib mattresses settle at a length of 38 inches, a width of 24 inches, and a height of 2 to 5 inches.
As adults, we invest a lot of time and money in high-quality beddings to ensure we get the best sleep possible. It’s high time we did the same for our children!
Buying a durable mini mattress also means that you can use it for the next kid that arrives in the coming years.
When all is said and done, always double check the different features of a mini crib mattress before spending your hard-earned money on it. As discussed earlier, there are quite a number of factors you’ll have to consider. Safety, stain resistance, waterproof capabilities, just to mention a few.
What is really matters is selecting the best mini crib mattress to ensure your child sleeps like royalty! If you’re still confused, check out our best choice, the Moonlight Slumber MCBluebird mattress, once again. You will never regret this investment!